If you own a record label, then you know getting a distribution deal is critical to the success of your business. But, what exactly is a distribution deal and how do you get one? In this article, we’ll give you the lowdown on distribution deals and how to get one for your record label.
How Do Distribution Deals Work?
A distribution deal is an agreement between a record label and a records distributor. The records distributor agrees to sell, promote, and distribute the record label’s records to stores, online retailers, and streaming services. In return, the record label pays the record’s distributor a commission on each sale.
There are two types of distribution deals: physical and digital.
With a physical distribution deal, the records distributor ships the record label’s records to stores and online retailers. The records are then sold to customers who can buy them as CDs or vinyl records. This is the traditional way records have been sold for decades.
With a digital distribution deal, the record’s distributor distributes the record label’s albums to digital retailers and streaming services. Customers can then buy or stream the albums online. This has become increasingly popular in recent years as more and more people consume music digitally.
What Are the Benefits of Signing a Distribution Deal?
There are several benefits of signing a distribution deal, including:
- Increased visibility for your records: A records distributor has the relationships and connections to get your records into stores and online retailers. This increased visibility can lead to more sales and more customers for your record label.
- Access to a larger customer base: A records distributor can help you reach a larger customer base than you could on your own. This is because they have relationships with stores and online retailers that you may not have.
- Promotional support: A records distributor can provide promotional support for your records, which can help increase sales. They may do this by providing marketing materials or by working with radio stations to get your records played.
- Financial support: A records distributor can provide financial support for your record label. This is important because it can help you cover the costs of manufacturing and promoting your records.
How to Get a Distribution Deal
There are a few things you can do to increase your chances of getting a distribution deal:
- Build a strong track record: One of the best things you can do is build a strong track record as a record label. This means releasing albums that sell well and getting good reviews from critics.
- Get involved in the music industry: Another way to increase your chances of getting a distribution deal is to get involved in the music industry. This means attending industry events, networking with other professionals, and building relationships with records distributors.
- Create a professional website: A records distributor will want to see that you have a professional website for your record label. This should include information about your records, your contact information, and your social media links.
- Submit a demo: When you’re ready to submit a demo to records distributors, be sure to include your best records. You should also include information about your record labels, such as your mission statement and your contact information.
Following these tips can help you get a distribution deal for your record label. However, it’s important to remember that there is no guarantee you will get a deal. The best way to increase your chances of success is to create records that are high-quality and that people want to buy.